Bethesda Cares aims to ease, end, and prevent homelessness in Montgomery County, MD by helping with housing, food, clothing and supplies.
AREA - Montgomery County, MD
AGE RANGE - All ages
What is Bethesda Cares?
Bethesda Cares was founded in 1988 to respond to the needs of the homeless population in the Bethesda Area. They hope to to ease, end, and prevent homelessness in Montgomery County. They perform street outreach, engaging the population of homeless individuals, working with them directly and helping them find housing of their own. They serve meals daily in their Bethesda soup kitchen, dinner once a week, and provide clothing, food and supplies to those who need it most.
How do I volunteer?
Bethesda Cares offers a multitude of volunteer opportunities. As a first step, volunteers should fill out this form. Here are some of the volunteers they need:
1. Lunchtime workers: Volunteers are needed Monday through Friday to prepare and/or serve client meals. Help on-site or make some casseroles or a hearty soup and bring them along. They also provide bagged lunches for our clients to take along with them, to enjoy later in the day.
2. Dinnertime workers: Bethesda Care provides a Sunday dinner at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Bethesda.
3. Weekday office work: From Monday through Friday, Bethesda Cares Drop-In Center’s check-in desk is staffed by volunteers who answer telephones, sort client mail, chat with clients and keep our coffee-pot full. Morning shifts are from 8:45am-12:30pm, and afternoon shifts are from 1:45pm to 3:45pm.
4. Organize a drive: Bethesda Cares is always in need of donations for currently homeless and recently housed clients. You can organize a drive at your school, religious or civic organization to benefit Bethesda Cares. Their current needs are listed here.
5. Opportunities for children: Bethesda Cares has age-appropriate ideas for elementary-aged children and up, such as making Welcome Home Cards or assembling bagged snack packs.
Feel free to share extra information and personal experiences in the comments below, or head over to the forum!